I think it is time that Melissa and I had some way to negotiate with Joey over his management of our lives and set some workplace rules that give us some protection.
I have a long time pal who is a real deal Union man… works on the <—docks, for crying out loud. Maybe he can give me some advice about how to get this started. (I don’t think we can be Longshoremen in a landlocked place like Sioux Falls, although there are a couple of canoe/kayak launch spots along the Big Sioux River here in town).
A couple of things got me started down this line of thought…
- The workers should have guaranteed hours of sleep. Management should not be able to throw on the lights and watch Disney movies in the middle of the night.
- Bathroom breaks. The help should have a certain amount of time to see to our own bodily needs without the boss making some urgent demand.
- No working outside of your specified job. Melissa and I are responsible for cleaning, folding and storing the laundry…
…So imagine our surprise when the management sent unqualified goons to take all of the clean pants out of the proper drawer…
…and dump them in a laundry hamper with the dirty clothes.
Oh, I could go on.
- Reasonable meal times, at a table, instead of bites at the kitchen counter between chores and emergencies.
- Protection against mental injuries due to repetitive actions. Like, “Management cannot ask employees to repeat movie lines or song lyrics more than X times per hour.”